Are you looking for the best limiter VST plugins? We will help you find the best limiters in both free and paid format.
A unique and powerful plugin to increase loudness, without sacrificing sonic quality or dynamic range. Add power and presence to your mix without the pumping of compression, or use on individual channels to bring them forward and add weight. Perfect to help vocals cut through the mix.
When driven harder, Inflator delivers tube-like musical warmth and provides the ‘sonic glue’ you need to gel your mix together!
- Fully 64-bit compliant
- Adds presence and tube-like warmth
- Increases perceived loudness of any material
- Provides virtual headroom above digital maximum
- Direct and band-split modes
The Plug-In is a true peak limiter that offers recently enhanced levels of processing and metering accuracy. The result is that you get to see and automatically correct otherwise invisible reconstruction overloads – and conform to the accepted industry ITU-R BS.1770-4 standard.
Whether you’re after the Oxford Limiter’s hallmark transparency or heavier creative effects, its advanced look-ahead processing and unique Enhance function provide the sample-value limiting and musical boost needed to reliably avoid clipping and confidently increase apparent loudness.
- Peak limiting with attack, release & variable soft-knee
- Enhance section to increase perceived loudness
- Recon meter shows actual rather than sampled signal
- Auto Comp fixes recon errors without losing overall loudness: conforming to the industry’s true peak measurement standard (ITU-R BS.1770-4)
- Audition and apply TPDF dither for 24-bit and 16-bit output word lengths with four types of variable noise shaping
- Four variable-strength noise shaping modes for use with highly dynamic program material
- Full backwards compatibility with previous Plug-In versions
- Great library of factory presets to get you started
TDR Limiter 6 GE is a modern dynamics compression and limiting toolkit featuring six specialized modules that can be arranged in variable order. Together, they cover a remarkable range of applications from delicate loudness control, to brutal “brick-walling” and creative mix bus crunching.
- Dynamics Compressor
- High-Frequency Limiter
- Peak Limiter
- Output Protection Limiter
- True Peak and EBU Loudness Meter
- Each module offers dedicated control over different types of events, from macro to micro, and allows you to determine the signal path. Combined wisely they can greatly increase the perceived loudness of a mix while preserving superior musical fidelity, punch, and excitement.
NEVO Limiter by SoundSpot (Paid)
NEVO is SoundSpot’s new monster clipper, which has been developed by SoundSpot’s in house audio wizards to give you the ultimate peak control when either mastering audio, or enhancing your virtual instruments or hardware instruments.
- Drive – This function allows you to transition from light tape drive to hard tube drive when raising and lowering the % control. 0 – 50% will give you a tape-style drive. 50 – 100% will then give you a tube style drive
- Curve – Adjusting this will allow you to transition through the clipping of the low and high end of your sound. Moving this control from Left to right will increase the effect on the high end, and then move Right to Left to increase the effect on the low end. Curve works by tilting the bias between high and low, whilst also lightly removing frequencies at the same time.
- Smooth – The Smooth control works by increasing the release on the 16 clipping bands, whilst also smoothing out the effect of the Drive distortion.
- Crush – This function allows you to dial in a Bit Crushing effect, which in turn provides control of how much sonic destruction is required for your signal. You will find that the Breach function will also affect this by softening the Crush strength when moving the dial from 0 to 100%.
- Breach – Using this function will allow you to control the amount of transients you may want to pass through the clipper control of your signal.
- Soften – This is like a smoothing function, but will only affect the single band of the hard clipper. Soften works in two ways: 1, When Breach is at Zero, it will soften the Crush effect. 2, When Breach is at 1 – 100%, it will give you a fatter sound whilst retaining the transients that Breach has allowed to pass.
- Colouration – This control enables you to add three variations of colour to your sound. These options are, WARM, TRANSPARENT and BRIGHT.
- Transient Emphasis – This option gives you three types of transient emphasis in either the LOW, MID or HIGH frequencies.
- Clip Wall – This is a final brick-wall limiter that also allows for your signal to be aggressively PULLED/SQUASHED to extremes.
- Waveform Display, Soft / Hard Clipper Mix Controls & Signal Level Ring – This central display gives you visual feedback details on the effect NEVO is having on your sound. Effects like the amount of transient being allowed back through the clipper control. The controls which are situated to the left and Right of the Waveform Display Window are mix controls for the soft and hard clippers. Left mix control is for the soft clipper, and Right mix control is for the hard clipper. The Waveform Display Window has a coloured ring/glow surrounding it that measures the amount of gain reduction generated by the clippers and end Clip Wall Limiter. If you are reaching extreme signal levels, it will abruptly turn Red. If you then reach acceptable levels, the ring will fall back to Blue.
smart:limit delivers limiter settings that let your mix breathe and gives you all the loudness and dynamics info you need for confident publishing.
- Automatic parametrization in just a few seconds
- Extensive loudness and dynamics monitoring
- Unique set of sound-shaping tools
smart:limit is all about worry-free limiting: Its intelligent processing will preserve the detail of your track and provide a transparent, uncompromised limiting quality. With smart:limit’s extensive loudness and dynamics monitoring, you won’t have to use any additional metering plug-ins.
Monitor all relevant key metrics at a glance:
- Loudness [LUFS] – integrated, short-term, momentary
- Loudness Range [LU] – integrated, short-term, momentary Dynamics [dB ] – based on Peak to Loudness Ratio
- True Peak [dbTP] – using high-resolution oversampling
- Gain Reduction [dB]
ClipShifter is a wave-shaping audio plugin that functions like a clipping-style limiter. It provides enough user controls to be useful in all mixing stages: from distorting basses and drums to maximizing mix buses and warming-up overall mixes. The sonic characteristics of the clipping distortion can be altered from hard, brick wall-style clipping, to softer saturation with compression.
- Clipping style limiter: from transparent sounding compression to hard clipping distortion
- Controls for Clip Shape (hard to soft) and harmonics (even- and odd-order), so you can be in control of the sound
- Low CPU usage for running multiple instances on multiple tracks
- Standard LVC-Audio metering, including VU-style, PPM-style, and loudness meters to easily monitor input and output levels
- Scalable waveform history view with click-and-drag editing of threshold controls to easily change and set clipping levels based on the incoming signal
Whether you want to crank the last drops of gain out of your track or just want to control a few loud peaks, a Limiter can be the weapon of choice. By looking a little bit into the future, a limiter can make sure your signal never goes louder than you want it to without distorting or destroying transients. Even with the knob turned to 11.
“Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.”