Are you looking for the best EQ plugins? We will help you find the best ones available in both free and paid format.
X-EQ 2 is the ultimate SSL EQ toolkit for audio professionals. Built upon SSL’s proprietary anti-cramping algorithms, X-EQ 2 simply sounds stunning. With 17 different classic and modern EQ type/curve options, X-EQ 2 is a formidable and powerful contender to be your new ‘go-to’ EQ plug-in.
- Fully parametric 24-band mastering-grade EQ
- 17 different EQ types and filter shapes for incredible versatility
- Anti-cramping algorithms preserve high-frequency information sometimes lost in a digital-audio environment
- DSP-optimized for light and efficient CPU use
- Mid-side and independent left/right processing
- Pinpoint trouble frequencies with band soloing
- Real-time visual frequency analysis
Pro-Q 2 offers everything that a demanding engineer could wish for: top quality linear phase operation in addition to the zero latency and unique Natural Phase modes, Mid/Side processing, variable stereo placement of EQ bands, an intelligent solo feature, optional Auto Gain and a built-in, fully customizable spectrum analyzer.
- Highest possible sound quality
- Up to 24 EQ bands
- NEW – Optional Dynamic EQ mode for all bands (Bell and Shelf shapes), using any slope setting and with perfect analog matching
- IMPROVED – Gorgeous Retina interface with large interactive EQ display, multi-band selection and editing for maximum ease of use and efficiency
- NEW – Ultra-steep ‘Brickwall’ slope setting for LP and HP filters
- NEW – Full surround support (up to Dolby Atmos 7.1.2) with intelligent speaker selection
- NEW – External spectrum visualization from any other Pro-Q 3 instance, including collision detection
- NEW – Per-band mid/side or left/right processing, so you can EQ the mid, side, left or right signals separately
- Operates in zero latency mode, linear phase mode with adjustable latency or the unique Natural Phase mode
- NEW – Flat Tilt filter shape, a flat tilting correction curve over the whole audible frequency spectrum
- IMPROVED – Spectrum Grab: just grab and adjust a peak in the real-time spectrum analyzer right away!
- Different interface sizes and additional Full Screen mode
- IMPROVED – Filter shapes: Bell, Notch, High/Low Shelf, High/Low Cut, Band Pass, Tilt Shelf, Flat Tilt
- Universal filter slope support for all filter types, up to 96 dB/oct
- IMPROVED – EQ Match feature to automatically match the spectrum of another Pro-Q 3 instance or an external signal
- IMPROVED – Built-in spectrum analyzer with Pre-EQ, Post-EQ and external spectrum visualization, adjustable range, speed, resolution, tilt, freeze and collision detection
- Auto Gain and Gain Scale
- Optional piano roll display to quantize EQ frequencies to musical notes
- Different display ranges: 3 dB and 6 dB ranges for mastering, 12 dB and 30 dB for mixing
- Intelligent solo mode makes it easy to find problem frequencies and hear the effect of a band
- Phase Invert option to change polarity
- Large output level meter with peak level readout
- Extreme CPU optimization: Pro-Q 3 uses very little CPU and memory, so you can use hundreds of instances in a session
- GPU-powered graphics acceleration
- Double-click text entry of parameter values
- IMPROVED – Supports stereo, mono and surround channel layouts (up to Dolby Atmos 7.1.2)
- Supports common Pro Tools hardware control surfaces
- IMPROVED – MIDI Learn with option to control the currently active band
- Undo/redo and A/B comparison
- Smart Parameter Interpolation
- Sample-accurate automation of all parameters
- Extensive help file with interactive help hints
- Available in VST, VST3, Audio Units, AAX Native and AudioSuite formats (all both 64-bit and 32-bit)
Claro EQ by Sonnox (Paid)
Claro is a comprehensive EQ Plug-In that serves the production process from composition to final mix, with three distinct views, progressively adding deeper insight and precision to prevent mud, clutter, or harshness, helping you blend your tracks into a clear and balanced mix.
- Claro’s EQ is highly flexible, with each of its 26 bands offering:
- A clean, musical-sounding EQ that resembles the well-loved Neve types, their modern derivatives and the SSL G Series, as well as many high-end outboard equalisers.
- Left, Right, Mid, Side, Mono, or Stereo channel processing giving you the capability to correct, widen, narrow, or make space within each track.
- A wide 20hz – 40kHz range. The extended high-frequency range offers a smooth, airy quality – excellent for vocals and mix busses.
- Variable Q, including resonance and overshoot on the cut and shelving filters, respectively, giving you the ability to mimic classic synth filters and hardware EQ curves.
- Variable slopes on all band shapes, up to super-steep (120dB per octave) for surgical work and treating precise audio bands
- Claro’s automation is smooth and artefact-free, unlike most premium EQs.
- Auto Gain uniquely keeps your track at the same loudness, no matter the signal content or how you choose to EQ it.
SplitEQ EQ by Eventide (Paid)
SplitEQ is a groundbreaking EQ that offers a new approach to corrective and creative audio equalization. It excels at Enhancing, Repairing, Rebalancing, and Widening any musical source or audio signal. SplitEQ is both a surgical tool for fixing particularly nasty problems and a creative tool that opens up exciting new musical possibilities. More than just an EQ—It’s a new and better tool.
- World-class 8-band parametric EQ with pristine musical filters.
- EQ Transient and Tonal parts of a sound separately using Eventide’s patented Structural Split™ technology.
- Control Transient and Tonal Output levels.
- Enhance the stereo-field with continuous Transient and Tonal panning controls (L/R and Mid/Side modes).
- Control the underlying Split technology for fine-tuning and experimentation.
- Globally scale the EQ curves together or independently.
- Peak, Notch, Bandpass, High Shelf, Low Shelf, Tilt Shelf, High Pass, and Low Pass filter types with slopes from 6 to 96 dB/octave.
- An innovative real-time spectrum analyzer displays the Transient and Tonal streams independently.
- Comprehensive Presets Library includes 150+ presets.
- A/B buttons allow quick auditioning of two presets or settings plus Undo/ Redo functionality.
- Resizable GUI with zoom options.
MIXROOM is an intelligent EQ that guides you to set the perfect balance of richness and clarity whether you’re working on a vocal, a synth or mastering your music.
MIXROOM analyses your audio and shows you which frequencies could be adjusted to improve your sound. The EQ target suggestion helps you get a solid starting point, from which you can tweak your sound to suit your preference.
- Specifically designed EQ filters that deliver maximum clarity & transparency in the mid and high-frequency range.
- Genre and channel-specific EQ target suggestions to take out the guesswork and give you pro-sounding results in seconds.
- Create your own EQ targets by importing reference tracks so you can get closer to the sound of your favourite tracks.
- Level match pointer on output gain to help you make sure you’re making real improvements to your music.
- Super-fast workflow with easily adjustable EQ bands and mid-side functionality.
- Clear and immersive mixing experience with the retina 3D & fully resizable user interface.
The Warmy EP1A Tube EQ is a FREE 1 to 1 analogue modelled plugin based on a modern take of the classic Pultec EQs.
The EP1A offers low boost, low cut, high boost, high cut, and an added tube emulation knob to dial in the amount of tube intensity you want.
- Low Cut and Boost
- High Cut and Boost
- Two High Frequency Selectors
- Tube Emulation Mix Knob
- Resizable GUI
EQ1A is a super smooth, analogue-style equalizer, with minimal phase colouration. It features a high pass filter with variable Q, frequency sweepable low and high shelf filters, and sweepable low and high peak filters with variable Q. A bypass switch is available for each filter section for increased flexibility.
The interface takes its inspiration from classic outboard EQs, with all controls in easy reach. The CPU efficient design allows high instance counts, making it a versatile EQ for all tasks.
- HP: 10hz – 1khz / sweepable Q.
- Low Shelf: 30hz – 500hz.
- Low Mid: 70hz – 2khz / sweepable Q.
- High Mid: 500hz – 6k / sweepable Q.
- High Shelf: 1.5k – 18k.
- Phase switch.
- Output level.
- 64-bit internal processing.
“Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.”