Do you want to discover the best delay plugins? We help you find the best ones available in both free and paid format.
Tube Delay by Softube (Paid)
A tasty echo effect that can go from clean to rude by overdriving its three modeled tube stages. Create anything from realistic room echoes to rockabilly style slap backs, or take it all the way into dub reggae echo madness.
- 1-1000 ms delay
- Sync tempo to host
- Vintage style passive EQ
- Gritty feedback feature
- Tube preamp simulation
Imagine a plugin that sees the future. It reverses your audio, applies effects and plays it back before the event even begins. This plugin would automatically create the much-loved reverse reverb and snare effects in seconds, allowing you to focus on the sound, not the process. Well, that is JMG Mirror – the world’s first reverse negative delay.
- reverse negative delay
- ghost snares
- reverse reverb effect
- hassle-free software protection
- 64-bit audio quality at ANY sampling rate
SSL Native X-Echo is a vintage tape echo plug-in, inspired by the sound of definitive early tape delay hardware of the 1960s while introducing SSL’s signature analogue saturation and warmth. Aside from sounding great from the get-go, it is complemented by numerous other practical and creative features, such as built-in de-essing, waveform visualisation, and a brand-new reverb design.
- Inspired by early hardware delay units from the 1960s such as the Echoplex tape echo.
- Combine tape-style analogue degradation with classic SSL-style distortion characteristics using the ‘Wow & Flutter’ and ‘Saturation’ controls.
- Models classic characteristics of hardware tape echo devices, including the looping EQ, soft clipping, gentle tape hiss and self-oscillation when raising the feedback above 100%.
- WOW AND FLUTTER emulates the effect of mechanical components like the capstan and pinchwheel, as well as the friction of the tape itself.
- Use FREEZE and KILL to build risers and drops in recordings and live performances.
- Bespoke one-knob DIFFUSION control, featuring a brand new reverb design.
- Built-in DE-ESSER for controlling the sibilant frequencies that tape echoes often accentuate.
- Designed to sound great from instantiation – even before you start tweaking it.
- Unique interface and waveform visualisation for seeing how the tape heads interact.
- Sync your delay to note values with a single click.
- 4 switch-able tape heads for adding variation.
- Cleverly stereoises mono => stereo signals using a phase-shifting technique.
- Built on the SSL Plug-in Engine.
- SSL’s cross-platform preset management and A/B-ing system.
- Built-in UNDO/REDO support.
Audio Damage’s painstakingly modelled bucket-brigade delay has been the go-to plugin for that sound for over a decade, used in thousands of commercial productions, and with good reason. Dubstation’s intuitive topology brings the mojo of yesteryears’ hardware delays to your DAW.
- Classic Delay Algorithm: Dubstation 2 features Audio Damage’s renowned model of bucket-brigade delay circuits, a faithful digital recreation of vintage hardware.
- Time Controls: The user can switch between two delay time ranges, encompassing 4 to 2000 milliseconds. Frequency-response characteristics vary with delay time – a fundamental aspect of the sonic personality of analog bucket-brigade delay circuits.
- Low-Frequency Oscillator: Delay time can be periodically altered with an LFO, producing changes in both the time between delayed signals and their apparent pitch.
- Filters: Low-cut and high-cut filters with user-controlled cutoff frequencies in the delay path offer a wide range of timbres
- Saturation: Analogue-style saturation with an amount of control allowing for distortion from the subtle to the extreme.
- Feedback: User-controllable feedback ranging from almost none to full feedback of the delayed signal back into the delay lines’ inputs.
- Loop Mode: Causes Dubstation to endlessly play the audio currently in its delay line without alteration. Filter and saturation effects are applied to the output signal in Loop Mode.
- Reverse Mode: The Reverse switch makes Dubstation reverse the current contents of its delay memory and the direction in which it records.
- Mix control: Blend of the processed and the dry input signal.
- Gain Staging Controls: Input and output gain controls range from -80dB to +3dB.
- Cross-Platform Preset Format: Dubstation 2 utilizes an XML-based preset manager. Work between multiple systems without troubles, make a preset on your desktop machine and paste it to the iOS version with Handoff, easily share your creations with your friends, or make a preset bundle to sell.
- Fully Resizable Hi-Dpi/Retina GUI: Dubstation 2’s vector-based GUI is resolution-agnostic, and displays the same on every system and resolution. Easily resize the UI (per instance) to match your visual needs, from postage stamp to poster-sized.
The Space Station UM282 is a faithful simulation of the Ursa Major Space Station SST-282, an early 80’s echo and reverb unit.
Unlike other reverberation devices from that era, the Space Station used delay techniques to transform a mono signal into a new reverberated stereo signal.
Where traditional delay units of the past have only one or two taps, the Space Station has many: 8 taps are used for listening and the others are used to synthesize the reverberation. That’s why the Space Station has been the secret weapon of many producers and engineers over the years.
- Single Multi-tap Delay Line
- 8 Audition Taps
- 16 Audition Delay Programs
- Up to 255ms delay time (extendable to 2.55 secs)
- Up to 3.5s reverb time
- Reduced bandwidth (20Hz-7kHz)
- Echo Sync
- Full Stereo Mode
- Echo Only Mode
- Delay Extension
- Resizable interface
HZ Delay by Higher Hz (Free)
HZ Delay is a character effect which means that it doesn’t do all things equally. Matter of fact it deliberately does some things oddly or not at all to allow it to have the sort of character so sought after in older analog gear.
The sorts of effects or outcomes HZ Delay will help you to achieve are:
- Chorus – simple and BBD
- Echo – simple and multi-tap
- Reverb – simple early reflections
This is the FREE VERSION of HY-Delay4. This free version only has 1 delay mode as opposed to the 5 of the full version.
- 1 delay mode(Simple delay)
“Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.”