Are you looking for the perfect de-esser for your projects? Well, look no more! We show you the best de-esser plugins available (free & paid).
Whether you’re trying to tame sibilance in a lead vocal, rein in a sharp-sounding hi-hat, or reduce harshness while mastering, a truly great de-esser is as elusive as it is essential. Enter the Weiss Deess, available as an individual plug-in or as part of the Weiss DS1-MK3 collection.
- The best-sounding de-esser available, with code-ported algorithms from the industry standard DS1-MK3.
- Two bands of de-essing. This is the only de-esser you’ll need.
- Stunning and intuitive visualisations make this de-esser a breeze to use.
- Clean tweak-and-go faceplate, with immensely detailed controls hidden in side-menu.
- Ultra-professional tool, but without the daunting, complex look.
- Low-latency mode allows you to de-ess while tracking a vocal.
- All the versatility you need in terms of filter shapes, frequencies etc.
Even when using the best mics, pre-amps and converters, sibilance in vocal recordings can easily get over-accentuated during post-processing like compression or saturation. But don’t worry, FabFilter Pro-DS comes to the rescue!
- Highly intelligent ‘Single Vocal’ detection, and classic ‘Allround’ detection
- Transparent program-dependent compression/limiting
- Adjustable Threshold, Range and detection HP and LP filtering settings
- Wide Band or linear-phase Split Band processing
- Optional look-ahead time up to 15 ms
- Freely adjustable stereo linking
- Optional mid-only or side-only processing
- Up to four times linear-phase oversampling
- Real-time de-essing display, clearly showing the affected parts of processed audio
- Side-chain input meter, making it easy to choose a good Threshold value
- Real-time spectrum analyzer built into the HP/LP filter controller
- GPU-powered graphics acceleration
- High-quality 64-bit internal processing
- Double-click text entry of parameter values
- Large and compact interface sizes
- Stereo and mono plug-ins available
- Supports common Pro Tools hardware control surfaces
- MIDI Learn
- Undo/redo and A/B comparison
- Smart Parameter Interpolation
- Sample-accurate automation of all parameters
- Extensive help file with interactive help hints
Esspresso is a fast, beautiful & powerful de-esser for everyone doing audio recording. De-essers have previously been aimed towards highly professional audio producers that need full control over the sibilance (high-frequency noises) in their mix.
- Visual reduction RMS
- Visual detector RMS
- Detector sensitivity gain
- Solo switch for the detector signal
- Suppressor has three filter modes (all, band & high)
- Intuitive and unique user interface
SYBIL De-Esser by Antares (Paid)
Sybil is designed to tame excessive vocal sibilance (ess, tsss, ch, and sh sounds), with a flexible compressor and a variable-frequency high pass filter to ensure optimum de-essing for any vocal performance.
The compressor section includes threshold, ratio, attack and release controls, and the high-pass frequency control lets you adjust which high frequency content will get compressed, to ensure that the sibilance is reduced while the rest of the voice remains pristine.
With Sybil, everything you need to get control of vocal sibilance is right at your fingertips.
The Oxford SuprEsser is both a very highly-featured professional De-Esser and a Dynamic EQ. There is a simple mode for quick fixes, but also an advanced mode for increased functionality and fine-tuning. The combination of an intuitive FFT display and three listen modes enables the user to easily see and hear exactly where the problem frequencies are, allowing the rapid reduction or removal of the offending audio. As well as being able to trigger the full band compression, only the offending frequencies can be carefully carved out. Since the SuprEsser can operate at all frequencies, ‘plosives’ and other annoyances can also be removed effortlessly, making it more than a simple De-Esser. Additional features include Automatic Level Tracking, Linear Phase Filtering and a Wet/Dry blend control for final balancing.
- 64-bit compliant (AAX / AU / VST)
- Highly featured professional De-Esser
- Linear Phase Dynamic EQ
- Transparently controls aggressive frequencies
- Automatic Level Tracking follows energy levels (no need to automate threshold)
- Large intuitive graphic display makes finding frequencies very easy
- Full Spectrum Operation (20Hz -20KHz)
- Three different ‘Listen’ modes
- Very easy to use
- Advanced Mode for ultimate control of the Dynamic EQ
- Many creative as well as corrective uses
- Presets giving good starting points
A simplified and easy-to-use De-Esser that smoothes out high frequencies while maintaining a natural and musical sound. Brightening up audio has never been easier.
- Side Chain Frequency Modes – including four specific side-chained frequency bands to detect harsh sounds.
- CPU Optimized – optimized for low CPU usage on both Windows and macOS.
- GUI Scale – Scale up/down the GUI from 80% to 150% according to your preferences.
- Undo/Redo function – built inside the plugin, you no longer need to worry about losing setting values.
- A/B Switch – compare different options fast and easy to see which might work best.
SPITFISH is a very-easy to use de-esser, aimed mainly at mono or stereo vocal tracks. Just like classic analog de-essers, this unit dynamically filters out harsh, annoying s-like sounds that would otherwise ‘spit’ in your face.
“Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.”