Which are the best chorus plugins? No need to search anymore. We’ve discovered for you the best chorus VST plugins on the market (both free & paid).
The Ensemble effect creates the illusion of many voices playing in unison. Much like a chorus, it creates this effect by playing delayed copies of the incoming sound. On top of this, it also modulates the phases of each voice to create a silky smooth result without any metallic flanging. The delay times for each voice is also modulated in order to detune each voice slightly.
- Voices: Number of voices to play simultaneously.
- Detune: How quickly to modulate the delay for each voice, affecting how detuned the voices will be.
- Spread: Pans voices left or right for a stereo effect.
- Mix: The dry/wet mix of this effect. A lower value will let some of the unmodified signal through.
- Motion: Selects between different patterns for the modulations of the voices.
- Settings panel: Whenever you have your mouse cursor over a snapin there is a small arrow at the top right corner (not visible in screenshot). It opens a settings panel where you handle presets. It also has a “randomize” button that can be useful. I guess…
- Enabled checkbox: The small checkbox to the left of the plugin name is a checkbox that bypasses the effect when disabled.
- Resize handle: The bottom right corner of all Kilohearts plugins is a resize handle for scaling the UI to any size. This allows you to get a good view of the controls whatever the screen resolution, and also comes in handy if you need big controls, e.g. when using Ensemble as a real-time effect on a touchscreen monitor during a live set. (This is not available when the snapin is used inside a snapin host.)
Blend v2 Chorus by Sinevibes (Paid)
Blend is a multi-voice chorus comprised of up to 16 separate layers. Each of them actually is a chorus effect on its own – complete with a dedicated modulation generator and a feedback loop. Even with all 16 layers activated, the resulting mix is dense yet always silky smooth and musical – thanks to clever proportional modulation phase offsets.
- 16 chorus layers, each with its own individual feedback line
- 16 sine wave modulation generators with proportional phase offsets (one per each layer)
- Variable modulation stereo width
- Selectable interpolation algorithm: Lo-Fi, Vintage, and Modern
- Adjustable low-frequency cut filter
- Lag filters on all continuous parameters for smooth, click-free adjustment
- Supports mono › mono, mono › stereo, and stereo › stereo channel configurations
- Colour-coded graphic elements
- Consistent name, mapping, value, and unit implemented for all parameters in both graphic user interface and host control/automation
- Built-in preset management functions
- Supports window size scaling up to 200%
MChorusMB is a unbelievably sounding powerful multiband chorus which allows you to fully adjust its shape. Where other choruses end, this plugin just starts off. It processes anything from guitar tracks to complete mixes, all with outstanding audio quality and an inspiring set of features.
- Up to 10 voices with advanced adjustment – MChorusMB provides advanced control over the 10 voices giving you an extreme set of possible settings, while still providing the best possible sound.
- 6 stereoizing algorithms – whether you like panoramas, phases, MChorusMB knows it all. If something is not stereo-enough, this one can fix it.
- Dual user interface – the plugin is not only extremely versatile, but also quick and easy-to-use thanks to 2 graphical user interfaces. First there is a simple default one with several predefined modes, but just a few controls, which lets you start quickly and easily without any knowledge. All you need to do is choose what you want and use a few knobs. And the plugins also has an advanced mode, which provides all the extreme features the plugin offers.
- 1-6 fully configurable independent bands built on 3 perfectly transparent crossover algorithms (analog, linear-phase and hybrid) with fully adjustable limits and input gains. Includes peak meters for all bands and the master.
- Continuously adjustable oscillator shape – every oscillator in our plugins is defined by a mix of predefined oscillator shapes, custom waveforms edited using our MeldaProduction Envelope System (MES), step-sequencer and several methods for algorithmic postprocessing. It is the most advanced approach for defining oscillator shapes.
- 4 global modulators – in each instance you can have up to 4 fully-featured modulators that can modulate any set of parameters including other modulators! In this way you can make the sound move in time, be less static and more interesting. Each modulator works as LFO, follower, midi/audio triggered ADSR envelopes, a pitch detector or even a combination.
- Integrated tube saturation gives the sound a great vintage analogue feel.
- Up to 8 channels surround processing – our plugins can handle not only mono and stereo signals, but also up to 8 channels of surround audio, making them ideal for audio production for movies, games etc.
- Full randomization – using a single button you can generate completely new settings. By clicking the button you can walk through the billions of possible settings and find the best one for you! And if that’s too much, you can just hold ctrl and MMultiBandChorus will only slightly modify existing settings.
- Sinc interpolation and high-quality upsampling – MChorusMB implements the most advanced technologies to provide the best audio quality.
- Adjustable up-sampling 1x-16x to minimize aliasing and get an even clearer sound.
- Extremely advanced and easy-to-use user interface – our products are always designed to enhance the workflow. You can easily change all values, fine-tune each control in multiple ways. Easy orientation in a standardized GUI, textual editing and smooth visualization with almost unlimited zooming are standard in all of our plugins. Moreover our plugins are the world first (and still the only ones), which support resizable and stylable GUI’s.
- Automatic synchronization to host tempo – every oscillator and modulator in the plugin can automatically synchronize to the host providing as natural a sound as possible while not offending other tracks.
- MIDI controllers with MIDI learn – you can map any parameter to any MIDI controller or MIDI keyboard and control it realtime or record and automate it.
- Very fast, optimized for SSE and SSE2 processors.
- Global preset management and online preset exchange – using a title button you can save your settings (which are shared on the computer) so you can easily access these in other songs. Moreover all plugins can automatically share your presets and download presets of other users from our servers (if this feature is enabled). We are building a community and you can be a part of it!
- Fully Automatable.
BLEASS Chorus by BLEASS (Paid)
From subtle classic chorus effects to crazy textures, BLEASS Chorus brings stunning stereo modulations to any sound and allows wide creative freedom for sound design.
BLEASS Chorus is a two-stage chorus effect that offers full control of the stereo image as well as a large range of effects, from subtle stereo wideners to crazy texture generators which you can visualize thanks to a dedicated oscilloscope with a very low CPU usage.
- Low-shelf/High-pass input filter
- Input Gain
- Delay Lines – Sets the stereo delay lines count.
- Time – Sets the average delay time.
- Rate – Sets the speed of the LFO.
- Left Depth – Sets the LFO’s amplitude for delay lines’ left channel.
- Right Depth – Sets the LFO’s amplitude for delay lines’ right channel.
- Equal Depths – When toggled on, left and right channels share the same depth. When toggled off, channels are independent of each other.
- Offset – Sets the offset between the delay lines’ LFOs.
- Width – Sets the offset between left and right channels for each delay line.
- Feedback – Sets the amount of feedback for each delay.
- Oscilloscope – Displays a representation of delay lines’ LFOs (tapping the oscilloscope pauses it).
- Dry / Wet Mix
- Clear and easy to use.
Chorus JUN-6 is an iconic effect that brings massive stereo richness, analogue warmth, and subtle modulated movement to your sound at the touch of a button.
- Accurate recreation of the 2-mode Roland Juno 6 chorus.
- Include the original I+II position for vibrato-like sound.
- Additional Manual Depth and Rate controls for custom settings.
- LFO Phase knob allows for width adjustment.
- Sync to host tempo option.
- Mono/stereo input and Dry/wet Mix controls.
A thick ensemble chorus with a multi-stage design, produces a dense cloud of echoes, giving you a smooth detuning even at extreme settings.
The phasiness control lets you slide between two detuning modes. Blending these together gives a rich and lively sound (particularly for low frequencies) – or try higher values for something less conventional.
The attack control uses envelope-followers to reduce or boost the detuning when an attack is detected. Give your attacks a little extra twang, or keep them clean and clear.
Depth and detuning are controlled independently – and because Cloud Chorus has dense echoes, depth goes up to 100ms for something between a diffuse slap-back and a small (detuned) room.
Magic Switch is a free plug-in developed by BABY Audio. It is based on the ‘Magic’ feature from the brand’s lo-fi multi-fx plug-in Super VHS.
Super VHS was developed to give users an instantly gratifying suite of one-knob effects to infuse modern productions with the lo-fi magic of the 80s. The Super VHS plug-in hosts a channel strip of six effects, each adding a unique flavour of VHS-era goodness.
One of the most popular features in Super VHS is its ‘Magic’ button: A one-click chorus effect with a “deep, dark and rich tone”.
“Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.”